How do you tell the difference? And where do you ever find the time for ‘what I’d like to do’?
The ‘has to be dones’ are so important:
- Work – the WIP must be first priority!
- Self-Care – you can only schlump around in dirty pajamas with dirty hair for so long!
- Household – laundry, food prep, shopping, more laundry, then kid-care (if you have them) senior care (if you have them).
Then there is the list of ‘ought to be done’.
- Work – promotion, proposals, networking.
- Self-Care – hair dyeing, toenail buffing.
- Household – windows to wash, lawn work, closets to clean out, stuff to get rid of.
So what happens to the “I’d like to do this’ list?
- Work – Dreaming about other work opportunities and playing with ideas.
- Self-Care – all the stuff that makes you happy, like hobbies, projects, singing, dancing, exercise.
- Household – Decorating for holidays, planning parties, painting.
Well, usually those things just don’t get done, and until they find a way to stuff a few more hours in the day, likely won’t. I’m in the third year of a family photo album project that was supposed to be done ‘by Christmas’… of 2005.
But I will get it done, by Christmas. I’m just not saying which Christmas.